Hot Tips for a Quick Lunch Downtown
“I just started working Downtown, any tips for a quick lunch down here?”
This was a question posed to us by Shreya, a new employee to the DTNYXE district. Not ones to shy away from boasting about our Downtown and the abundant list of things to do within it, we took it upon ourselves to turn our answer into a blog with a list of tips for you to benefit from, too!
Let’s get right to it; the theme here is efficiency, after all.
- Citizen Café and Bakery is another one of our Downtown gems when it comes to tasty, quick lunches with a great overall vibe. Citizen is proud of their grassroots approach to honest food, great coffee, and local community. So are we.
- When summer rolls around, so does NOON TUNES, presented by DTNYXE! For those who haven’t had the chance to experience this noon hour live music spectacle, it can be a chance to bring a bag lunch and enjoy a free concert from a local musician. The first NOON TUNES of the season kicks off June 6th (artist and location TBA – stay tuned!), and happens most Thursdays in summer. BONUS TIP: when NOON TUNES happens in front of Bus Stop Refreshments, skip the bag lunch and opt for a hot dog and an ice cream cone from the iconic red bus.
- Seasoned Fusion is another great spot if you’re into great tasting Japanese-Vietnamese fusion food with the most reasonable prices. Seasoned has an extensive menu including a vegan one, and they’ll get the food to your table fast.
- An efficient lunch break doesn’t only mean finding a quick meal; sometimes it’s about fitting in some quick exercise. Hear us out: how about eating early at your desk, then walking the Broadway-University Bridge loop – it’s 3k, so you can walk it in 45 minutes (or jog it for shorter workout)!
- Freshii is a no brainer if you’re jonesing for a quick, delicious, and waistline-friendly meal. If you’re health conscious and want to get your steps in, you may want to grab something more portable like a smoothie or a wrap and stroll around DTNYXE.
- Head to Chianti Café & Restaurant for their $11.00 All You Can Eat Pizza and Pasta Bar that happens Monday to Friday from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Since 1983, Chianti has offered wholesome, delicious Italian cuisine and great service at a reasonable price. If you’re not sold already, did you know they use fresh pasta and ingredients, make all of their sauces from scratch and bake their (irresistible) bread, daily?
- Have you been to Honey Bun Café? If not, trust us when we say it’s a local favourite for a reason. This is a spot dedicated to fresh, local ingredients turned into fresh, local fare. Their creative menu sets out to re-discover local classics by pairing traditional comfort with inspiring flavours. This is certainly one of the best places to go if you’re pressed for time but really craving some home made comfort food.
- In general, a hot tip for a quick lunch Downtown is to arrive at 11:30 a.m. – beat the lunch rush!
Do you work Downtown? Tag us with @dtnyxe and #iworkdowntown in your Downtown lunch hour posts – we want to see what you’re up to and hear YOUR quick lunch tips!