Water main replacements and rehabilitations to impact Downtown this summer
City of Saskatoon | January 13, 2022 – In December, the Downtown BID met with the City of Saskatoon regarding three phases of construction happening Downtown this year. Work will start following the spring melt and will include water main replacements and maintenance, and road rehabilitation. Some sidewalks will also be rehabilitated.
The following locations are tentative and subject to change:
- Phase 1A
- Spadina Crescent East from 5th Avenue North to 21st Street East
- 21st Street East from 3rd Avenue South to Spadina Crescent East
- Phase 1B
- 20th Street East from 2nd Avenue South to 4th Avenue South
- Phase 2
- 3rd Avenue North from 23rd Street East to 22nd Street East
- 22nd Street East from 3rd Avenue North to 4th Avenue North
- Phase 3
- 2nd Avenue South from 22nd Street East to 19th Street East
- 21st Street East from 1st Avenue South to 3rd Avenue South
The construction may have an impact on many of us but will ultimately result in improved water flow and fewer disruptive water main breaks. Road and sidewalk improvements are also beneficial for all. Fortunately, the work will be completed in phases to avoid a much larger and longer lasting impact.
The City is currently in the project planning stages and will be presenting the overall plan in more detail during virtual information sessions in the coming weeks (no in-person open houses due to COVID-19). This is where we will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide comments. For a direct invitation, please e-mail your contact information to email@example.com. By signing up, you will also receive weekly updates prior to and throughout the project. All updates from the City are delivered via e-mail only.
- Once finalized, project details will be available at saskatoon.ca/construction.
- All addresses within the work zones will receive a Construction Notice several weeks in advance of the project beginning. The notice will include details on what to expect.
- All subscribers will receive a Construction Guide several weeks in advance of work beginning. It will include tips, guidelines and social media messaging we can all use in addition to our own marketing plans to help promote our businesses throughout construction.
- The City will roll out a marketing campaign and host a news conference to let the media and general public know about the work and that despite the work, Downtown businesses will remain accessible and open.
All projects, including dates, scope of work, and the mentioned locations are tentative and subject to change. Subscribing to receive updates is the best way to stay informed.