The days may be crisper, brisker and–at times– significantly darker, but if one thing’s true of Downtown Saskatoon, it’s that it’s anything but duller. Sure, we love summer in our vibrant little community as much as the next person, but come on–nobody can deny that DTNYXE is also the place to be for Fall. Seriously, we dare you to not have a great time the next time you stroll around our colourful, leaf-strewn district.
Not that you need a plan to soak up the fun down here, but in case you’d prefer it, check out our fall itinerary that will surely bring your summer mourning to a halt.
- Living Sky Café – Start your day off right by treating yourself to a Lavender Latte (yes, lavender!) and a Denver Croissant off their All Day Brekkie menu. This cozy little gem on 3rd Ave opened their new location this past Summer, and we can’t get enough of their made-from-scratch-focaccia bread. Actually, pretty much everything you can get your hands on there is made in house. Sprawl on the couch by the window–the ideal java sipping spot–or, while it’s still warm enough out, grab a seat on the sidewalk patio. Very metropolitan, right?
2. Feel like exploring a little? Head down the street to the Drinkle Mall. Here you can peruse music, vintage photos, and a handful of interesting shops like Atlantis 200–a charming little new age shop filled with spiritual wellness goodies like crystals, Tarot cards, incence and more. You never know what you’ll find in the Drinkle Mall.
3. Now take in a visual feast at the world-renowned Remai Modern Art Gallery, right on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River. If this fall outing of yours falls on a weekend, the gallery is open for Public Tours on Saturday and Sundays at 1:00 p.m. These weekly drop-in tours are led by Program Guides, and explore the latest exhibitions at the gallery. These tours offer viewing strategies, answer questions and help visitors of all ages make personal connections to art.
(No registration required. Free with membership or museum admission. Meet on Level 2 at the Cameco Play Area.)
(above) photo credit: Adrien Williams 2017
4. Hungry again? Take a few steps down the street and pop into the Good Earth Coffeehouse right down the street for some wholesome lunch, or a healthy snack and a turmeric latte. Good Earth has only been open in DTNYXE for a few months and we love having them in our district!
(above) Photo courtesy of Good Earth Coffeehouse
5. Why not catch a flick at Scotia Bank Theatre Saskatoon? What better a way to soak up a crisp fall afternoon than to sink into some plush, VIP seats and get lost in a good story? It’s right next door, after all.
(above) Photo courtesy of Cineplex.com
6. Feeling peckish? Stop by Melody Bar for a night cap and some tasty tapas. This late night Downtown gem boasts a speakeasy, underground lounge-vibe that rivals the likes of an LA. or Chicago big city hotspot. If you time it out right you can also soak in some live music by local gems like DJ Charly Hustle.
(above) Photos courtesy of Melody Bar